Monday, October 2, 2006

Monday, October 02, 2006

Sunday, October 01, 2006

10:AM

Just read Penny’s blog to her. She smiled at almost 50.

The struggle with the nausea that got so much worse yesterday is still a problem. She had a really tough night with it again. They have her on three different medications for nausea, and she is still sick often, as in having the dry heaves. She has not had even a sip of water for the past few days. Tried a teaspoon of apple juice this morning, but that came back up shortly afterwards, painfully. Just a tiny piece of ice every few hours is all she can tolerate. But usually she is sleeping and dreaming. One of the side effects of the drugs is vivid dreams, a lot of them. Pen said she has only had a couple of bad ones, mostly good ones

10:00 PM

I came back after supper to spend the night with Penny. The nights seem to be hardest and she wanted some company. Wish she had a bigger bed so I could jump in and snuggle.
I just asked her if she wanted to put anything in her blog, and she said no, that I could do what I want with it now. So I asked her if I could just leave it alone for a while. She said that was fine. I asked her if I could leave it alone permanently, and let it be done. She said that was okay too.

So, this will be the last update.

Midnight

Penny just got up and chatted for a bit. I told her what I wrote in the blog and she said no way, this is not the last update. She did look and sound a little too comfy last time I was talking to her.

The past week has been especially difficult, and Penny had asked that the only visitors be immediate family. She mentioned today though, that perhaps when she gets moved into hospice it would be okay to have a few other people over who want to come for a short visit.


Monday 9:00 PM

When I arrived at the hospital this evening, Penny was in good spirits. She read her card from Annie, and stayed up to chat. She asked me to mention that she is being moved to an acute palliative care unit here in the same hospital tomorrow. She seemed a little excited about moving there, after talking to the unit doctor. She also said the nausea was not as frequent or bothersome today, and the pain is being managed quite well. Whatever else they have started giving her must be working. When I counted tonight, she had a total of 8 needles, in her abdomen and upper legs and the IV in her hand.

It was a better day, except for all the needles.

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment